Michigan born percussive-dancer, Nic Gareiss and Scottish harpist Maeve Gilchrist met while teaching at the Shasta Fiddle Camp in Northern California. They continued their musical relationship with spontaneous collaborations at festivals and chance meetings and later toured together as part of Darol Anger’s band, ‘The Furies’. At the Celtic Connections Festival in Glasgow this year, Nic and Maeve made their debut performance as a duo to great acclaim and have been picking up steam with the show ever since. Sharing a deep respect for traditional music and culture while drawing on contemporary elements of music, dance, rhythm and improvisation, Nic and Maeve have emerged from the vibrant new acoustic scene as innovators in their fields. The percussion and drive of Nic’s footwork combined with Maeve’s melodic and improvisational sensibilities make for an explosive duet that delights both the ears and the eyes.
- Announcement regarding the 2020 Wales Harp Festival 18/03/2020
- Former royal harpist keeps promise to festival after recovering from cancer 23/03/2019
- Top harpist swaps Albert Hall for Caernarfon care home 19/03/2019
- Sponsor a String appeal will be prelude to success for talented harpists of the future 13/03/2018
- Emotional concert will remember controversial drowning of village 11/03/2018